The Cliff House is a restaurant perched on the headlands on the cliffs just north of Ocean Beach, on the western side of San Francisco, California. It has great history and a sad story. The first Cliff House was a modest structure built in 1863; the building survived the explosion of the schooner Parallel, abandoned and loaded with dynamite, ran aground on the rocks below but was later completely destroyed on Christmas night 1894 due to a defective flue. The Cliff House had also survived the 1906 earthquake with little damage but burned to the ground on the evening of September 7, 1907. Dramatic story in pictures.